Sunday, October 08, 2006

NCC volume9---September




North Central College Fall term 2006 started from September 11, and now I am in third week so it is getting busier and busier with lots of homework. I am taking three classes this term; Interpersonal Communication, Chinese, and Human Geography.


First, Interpersonal Communication, this class combines lecture, discussion, reading, exercises, group activities, exams, and a term project: record an actual conversation and analyze using specific communication concepts and theories. Even though it is third week, I am sure this class helped me to advance my communication competence by developing increased sensitivity in interpreting and participating in interpersonal interaction.


Second, Chinese, there are two reasons I thought I want to start studying Chinese. One is because here in the United States many people can speak more than two languages so I felt like I want to study more languages to communicate the people from different countries. The other reason is because last year I met an exchange student from Taiwan and we became really good friends, so I became really interested in Taiwan and Chinese culture. This is still a 100 level class so we learn simple sentences and how to ask questions, but I want to keep studying in Iwate as well.


Third, Human Geography, this class exposes me to a new and exciting way of viewing the world which we live in and help me to better prepare for the world stage. Last week we joined the activity called “invisible children”: Some college students from San Diego made this organization for the children who are sacrificed for the dispute in Sudan. We watched the movie they made and listened to the story about their experiences. Actually I was really surprised that college students started this organization and they are really helping the children by selling DVDs, giving them the opportunities to work in Sudan, and giving educational opportunities. I did not even know where Sudan is. I am really ashamed of my ignorance about the world. I am sure this class will help me to understand the world more.


I continue to be a member of International Club, Japan Club, Focus, and Voice of Praise (Gospel Choir) this fall term. However, this year is a little bit different, because I became an officer of International Club. So this year I plan the activities with other officers for the new exchange, international, and North Central College students considering educational aspects for better understanding of the cultures of other countries. This fall term we are planning to go to the state of Wisconsin for the retreat, have a Halloween Party, and have Buddy System and English Table for new international students. It is really fun to give my ideas and discuss for the better decisions and run this big club with reliable other officers. I am really proud of being a publicity officer of this club with amazing friends.

1 comment:

JH said...

Hi Gami,
Sounds like you are taking some really interesting classes. I hope that you can tell us all about them when you return to Iwate. Amy is here and she will be teaching a class at N elementary school this November.
When you come back to Iwate please teach me some Chinese. I went to Xinjiang China (the autonomous region of Uyghur) and was completely helpless because I could not speak a word of the language.
I hope that you have a nice autumn at NCC and I look forward to seeing you in Japan.
JH