Sunday, June 26, 2005

Assignment 10 ★ June 26 , 2005

Key Points for Teaching Grammar
Which of the Key Points for teaching grammar, ideas for introducing new grammar, ideas for practicing new grammar, and ideas for communicative activities were useful and why you thought so.
Teaching new grammar
☆I thought to encourade students to see patterns is very important and helpful . I am teaching at cram school and practiced irregular verb like this method , but there were not pattens in my practice . So students could not notice the patterns and tried to learn it by heart . It was hard for students to remember irregular verb and many of students hated to remember . If I practice irregular past which is devided into same group , students will be able to remember more easily . So I thought to make patterns is very important .

Introducing and Practicing new grammar
☆when we introduce new material , I think getting students' interest toward new material is one of the most important things . So I like to use real things (ex. pictures) and real imformation and to do quizzes base on fact . To use real things and real imformation help stuents to undertand new materials . And these idea will be able to sustain interest of students . What is more , we will be able to let students use their imagination and ability to guess by useing these ways .
Communication activity
☆I think that information gap makes students more active . It is important for teachers to give as many chances to use English as possible to their students . I especially like to do Interview . Because this activity mixes writing , speaking , and listening . And this activity has aspects of both drill and real . What is more , students can talk about familiar topics , and they will be able to test their knowledge and help each other . Of course , I liked to do Skit and Karuta .


Which ideas you did not think were useful and why you thought so?
★Teaching new grammar
☆I like to do Hangman and Who am I , but these games took much time per question and only a few of students could attend the game . So these games may be bored junior high school students . We should devise how to do these games . For example , teachers make groups and let each groups compete .
Introducing an practicing new grammar
☆I think many of students like to do movement , but there are not only positive and cheerful students but also negative and quiet students in the classes . When I attended "Reader's theater" , one of real junior high school teacher told us that there are students who do not speak in the class . There are many kinds of students , and I think to use this way is very difficult for teachers . I want to try to use this way , but I want to pay attention to students' character at first .

1 comment:

JH said...

Your blogs is very informative as always. I have one question though:
Under communication activity you said that you like to do skits but then you said that doing something such as "Reader's Theatre" is difficult for the students. If Reader's Theatre is difficult for students then wouldn't skits also be difficult for students?