Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Graduation Thesis ☆ May 30

What results do I expect???

Teachers may not teach Sound Box.
I think some of the English teachers don't teach pronunciation using Sound Box. When I did student teaching I skipped teaching Sound Box as well since I didnt have enough time to teach it. Also, I felt teaching Sound Bow was a little bit difficult since I didnt have confident in my ability of pronunciation.

Students may hesitate to read the sentences like native speakers.
When I teach English at cram school, a lot of students hesitate to pronunce English like native speakers. I think some of them are too shy to speak English like English. I think they might do well for intonation, linking, and pause, but I think it might be hard for them to pronunce "r", "th", and "v" correctly.

1 comment:

JH said...

Gami,
Your second point is very interesting. In my case, I think it is students trying harder to read like a Japanese speaker than trying to read like a native speaker. I do not think students have to sound like a native, but I do think that their pronunication should be closer to English pronunication than katakana pronunication. So, I do encourage students to try to pronounce English like it is English by doing activities such as shadowing or by having students act out rather than read the reading. I think one reason why students read English in katakana is because the reading is so boring that they don't have any feeling.